Go for a nice meal. Skip the glass of wine and enjoy the treat of gorgeous food and the company of your Christmas date.
A Christmas date night tends to revolve around alcohol. As a nation we enjoy a couple of Christmas cocktails, to say the least. The "silly" season is typically full of invitations to occasions that involve a couple of drinks. 'Tis the season and all that. It certainly has it's downsides though. Binge-drinking is a huge problem in Irish society and many people will find that alcohol is the main culprit when it comes to stress, anxiety and financial problems.
Christmas is a lovely time to try and squeeze in a date night with your other half. It's a great opportunity to reconnect and enjoy each other's company in a really unique atmosphere. The twinkly lights and crisp evenings provide the perfect romantic backdrop. However, that date night does not have to involve alcohol.
Many people choose to completely avoid alcohol for personal reasons. In some cases it's medical whereas for others it is emotional or work-related. Whatever the reason, we have got you covered when it comes to Christmas date night ideas that do not involve alcohol.
- Enjoy a show together. Theatres around the country are offering a huge selection of performances over Christmas. Enjoy a pantomime, opera, comedy show or gig with the person you love.
- Visit a market. Date days are a lot of fun, especially when you are up for work the next morning. There are so many craft, food and thrift fairs at this time of year.
- The cinema is a brilliant sober Christmas date night option. Snuggle up together for a feel good film or a romantic festive classic with an array of tasty snacks. Ideal!
- Late night shopping. Pick up those last few bits and bobs together, enjoy a festive coffee and browse and chat while soaking up that lovely Christmas vibe together.
- Go for a nice meal. Skip the glass of wine and enjoy the treat of gorgeous food and the company of your Christmas date.
- Take a trip in town to take in the Christmas lights hand in hand.
- Have a Christmas movie marathon at home. Pyjamas are the uniform of choice and only festive treats are allowed.
- Gift wrapping doesn't have to be a chore. Turn it in to a date night by blaring some Christmas tunes and lighting some festive candles. It would be rude not to have a hot chocolate too.