You’ll hear a lot about the importance of “date nights” for your relationship when children come along. The idea is that your little family began with just you two and in the heel of the hunt it is easy to lose sight of that when you are focused on your children. There is nothing worse than feeling pressured to go on a date night when you are not feeling ready to leave your baby with a trusted family member or friend.
You’ll hear a lot about the importance of “date nights” for your relationship when children come along. The idea is that your little family began with just you two and in the heel of the hunt it is easy to lose sight of that when you are focused on your children. There is nothing worse than feeling pressured to go on a date night when you are not feeling ready to leave your baby with a trusted family member or friend. But when the time does come that it feels OK, it is really important that you benefit from the experience. For this reason it is important to do it on your own terms.
Have you ever considered that a date night
does not have to be at night time at all? Date days are on the rise and can offer so much to parents.
Here is why, in our opinion, date days are better than date nights:
- It kind of takes the childcare obstacle away. You can totally have a date day with your kids. OK so it isn’t ideal when the idea is a bit of alone time but perhaps there is somewhere a bit different that you have really wanted to visit with your other half. Could you take the kids along for a family treat? It may involve I Pads at the table or a bribe of sweets but you’ll be loving life with your epic chicken wings or fancy coffee. When your baby is young they may nap for a couple of hours. Using this time to your advantage is another great idea. Your baby is happily sleeping in their pram while you have a proper catch up together in a nice location. If you decide to go alone you may discover that your chosen babysitter is more forthcoming when it involves just a couple of hours during the day rather than giving up their whole night.
- I’m just going to say this. There is something really nice about being home and back in your “normal” routine after your date night. You can put the kids to bed, get organized for the next day and relax together in the evening. It almost feels like an extra little date night where you can build on that excitement from the date day. There is also a lot to be said for getting your full nights sleep and not losing a day after your date night. You get your date without the punishment.
- Date days give you the option to visit lovely restaurants and bars when they are a lot quieter. It also gives you the opportunity to save a few penneys and avail of early bird discounts and set menus which are available earlier in the day. This can make dates more frequent as they are more affordable.
- You will get the best of each other. Have you ever found yourself on a date night and after the first drink or some food you are yawning already? Parenting is exhausting – especially when you are sleep deprived. Having a date during the day catches you at your best meaning the chat and mood will be really positive.
- Sorry children but being in a cafe or restaurant during the day where you can clearly see buggies and children is a bit.... thrilling. You nearly want to wear a sign saying “sssshhh we are parents too”. It’s exciting and you’re not even sorry to admit that.