Ah, the 80s... a time when earrings were neon, cars were outrageous, summers were doused in garden party cocktails, and Charlies Angels had the biggest and best hair.
The decade brings back memories of a general sense of fun – discos, loud clothes, cracking music and all ‘round good times. Could we use a dose of the 80s right now? You bet we could!
Here are seven things from the decade that 2021 could do with right now:
- Madonna: But not "now" Madonna, it must be 80s Madonna. The Madonna who taught us to wear our chiffon skirts big and our bras small. Whose chart-toppers ripped us from whatever mundane task we were doing. She made us want to dance our asses off immediately. Someone go tell her she's needed.
- Crimped Hair: If we can’t have hairdressers, then we each need a personal home hair crimper immediately. The sense of both volume and potential as a fabulous contestant on RuPaul’s Drag Race cannot be underestimated.
- Roller Discos: Think short-shorts, sweatbands and smiling across the room at your latest crush while you shimmy under the flashing lights. None of your scary A&E-inducting ice rinks, oh no; safe, safe roller skates on a nice wooden floor, please and thank you.
- Leg Warmers: I will fight anyone who tells me that there is an outfit on this earth that can’t be enhanced by a pair of leg warmers. Jeans, swimsuits, high heels, ballet pumps, even wedding dresses. Go on, challenge me!
- Music: There is not one popular (I did say popular!) song from the 80s that would not make me park the car, run to the nearest field and go full-on Footloose. I appreciate that I am not getting out lately but believe me, some of these songs transcend Covid-lockdown desperation.
- Playing Outside: If you were a child of the 80s you would struggle to think of a time that you played indoors. I can remember bike races around the neighbourhood, football matches in the nearest field, chasing, knick-knacks, curbies, hopscotch and skipping. I have no idea where our parents were during any of this; but I’m 100% sure they weren’t worried about our mental health or threatening to turn off the internet. Such better, simpler times.
- Angel Delight: My kingdom for the first person who brings me a bowl with sprinkles on the side…
What things from the 80s do you miss?