Here's some things you NEED to know first
If you are a stay at home mum, you may not realise how much you do daily and how great you really are. If you are going to be a stay at home mum for the foreseeable future, you need to know some things and we have them listed here for those times when you feel a little lost!
- The kids will wreck your head- The kids will have their moments like any children will and it will inevitably have you questioning your parenting skills. However, you are doing wonderfully and must accept there will be bad and good days. Take the good days and drag yourself through the bad ones, it’ll be ok.
- Embrace the laid-back attire- One of the best things about staying at home with the kids is the ability to wear tracksuits or comfy jeans. Runners are the preferred footwear as how can anyone possibly run after kids in high heels?! It doesn’t mean you are going slobby but rather being a good parent means rolling around on the floor with the kids, painting and baking all of which are messy so out goes good clothes and in are the bad ones!
- You’ll need some “me time” and a hobby- To survive parenting children full time it is mandatory that you get a hobby to escape nappies! You should never feel guilty that you want to get away or that you shouldn’t have your own time as you are at home all day. It is important that you do.
- Mom friends are the best- You may have friends, but mom friends are perfect for supporting each other and being on side when things get tough. They can direct you in the right area when you need medicine for your poorly child and are a constant support to you.
- Your partner will put his foot in it at times- God love your partner working all day as when he comes home you will be wrecked and won’t want to hear all about his tough day! He may inadvertently put his foot in it asking about his shirt or his dinner, but he doesn’t mean to, it is imperative that you both understand each other and be there for one another.
- There will be judgemental folks- We have all met the people who are full of judgement for those parents who stay at home though it is none of their business. If you went to work others would have an opinion too and you can never win, and you should not take any heed of it! Do what is right for you and your family. As you should never give a s*&t! about what others think! Don’t take any comments from people seriously and never be influenced by other people’s judgements of you. You are staying at home for your own reasons that are no one’s business and perhaps you love it, perhaps not? Everyone has a story, but not everyone needs to know it.
Written by Emma Hayes, staff writer at Family Friendly HQ