Raising children is one of the toughest but most fulfilling jobs in the world. Unfortunately they don’t come with a manual so here are some productive ways to help your journey
- Talk to your spouse- Kids know when you don’t and can take full advantage playing one off the other. Responding to bigger decisions regarding your children with “We will talk to your Mam/Dad and come to a decision together” shows a united front and will stop them running to both parents.
- Be a good role model- It is known that children learn and mirror behaviour exhibited by their parents. Showing them how to live by the values and morals that you have agreed is the quickest way they are going to follow suit. Spending time with family and friends who also set a good example will instill those values.
- Spend quality time – Time is a precious commodity and spending quality time with your children is really important for your bond and their development. Getting them away from technology by talking, playing and sharing stories together.
- Give yourself some “me” time- It is true that if you don’t look after yourself you will be little benefit to your kiddies so ensure you get rest, time to relax and occasional time outs! Mammy and Daddy being happy is paramount to a child’s childhood and the little ones do pick up on your mood, and there is no shame in having time for just you in fact it is vital.
- Be consistent- Teach you child what behaviour is appropriate and what is not. You are trying to raise children who are self-reliant & respectful. The more consistent you are with guiding your child through this will benefit in the long run.
- Use parenting resources- Parenting websites, forums, books and magazines can help you to overcome new or tricky situations from people who have been in the situation previously.
Best of Luck X
Check out her own blog at emmasmadjotters.com