It's such an exciting step for any young student but can be easy to lose your way
- Be safe and take care of yourself and others- Have credit on your phone at all times, go to places with people you know well and stay together. Always keep emergency cash in case there is a change in anyone’s plans and you have to find your own way home, and let pal’s know if you are leaving a party early so your friends aren’t worrying about you.
- Work hard and study hard- Consider getting a weekend job to bring in some extra money and try to do your best, be reliable, punctual and hardworking. It might be the reference you need to get into your first employment when you are qualified. Study in the evenings and when you have some free classes, try stay on top of the work and to reduce cramming at the end, avoid falling behind if possible. If you are struggling talk to others students and your lecturer as they may have some good advice to help you along the way.
- Reinvent yourself if you want to and start a fresh leaving the past behind- The beauty of college is in most cases no one knows you and you can be what you want to be. If you were on the receiving end in school of negative comments then remember that it doesn’t matter anymore and you can start afresh with new friends and a new goal in life, be confident and believe in yourself.
- It’s easy to get side tracked but keep your eye on the prize- It can be tempting to run off course when you are new to a college and meeting new people and going to cool places however don’t forget why you are there. College is there to train you to be what you want to be but you need to work to get there, don’t forget that.
- Make friends and keep them- Try build up some friends that you can really trust and get along with and ones who help you study and are supportive of each other. College is a few years of your life so be sure to have buddies that are as determined as you and you will all do well.
- Use your student Id for discounts and budget your finances- Use the student discounts where possible and be mindful of your money and keep account of everything you spend. Plan each week of what you need, and divide money up for each day so you don’t splurge if you are that way inclined!
- Take up a hobby to meet people- College has lots of activities that allow students to get to know each other in a fun relaxed atmosphere. Take up something you enjoy and don’t be nervous, remember everyone is in the same boat.
- Get plenty of rest and relax to keep your mind clear. Just an hour of chilling listening to music will ease any anxieties you might have and set you up for the next day.
Check out her own blog at emmasmadjotters.com