Because priorities change so much once baby arrives
Everything changes when you become a mother. The world as you know it looks and feels different in every way. Your priorities naturally change but so do the topics and issues that you give your attention to.
Isn't it amazing how things that once seemed so important to you simply disappear from all existence when you have a child. It's not that you look down on these topics but rather they do not have a place in your new world.
Here are some of the things I no longer care about since having children.
- Ironing. I used to kind of enjoy it on some level. Nowadays it is so far down my list of priorities that I genuinely buy clothes now based on whether or not I can get away with not ironing them.
- Matching socks. I've resigned myself to the fact that if they are both clean then I am winning at life.
- Cooking shows. If the choice is between eating or watching someone else eating I know what I'm going to choose.
- What Kim Kardashian had for breakfast. My obsession with the lives of celebrities has done a total 360. I'd rather read about, watch and connect with normal women who make me feel sane in my imperfections.
- High heels. This is not a “letting yourself go” type of thing. I just think life is too short to spend a much needed night out in pain. In my pre-mother years I could work through the pain and managed to fake it quite well. These days I'm all about the boots, comfort and enjoy every moment of a rare night out.
- If himself leaves the toilet seat up. In fact I nearly encourage it these days. One too many incidents where it slammed in the middle of the night and the noise woke up the baby. (Did I really just write that?)
- Ads on the TV. Ain't nobody got time for that. The fast-forward button is my best friend.
- Carefully selecting my wine. These days I am easily pleased. Wine is wine.