We are all guilty of wanting to protect our children from the downside of parenting
- “I’m tired”- Actually I am exhausted beyond what I have ever felt before, and while I’d love to play with you after working all day, I am just too worn out.
- “I feel really guilty”- I haven’t spent enough time with you this summer and we didn’t get to do the things I would have loved to do with you. Life wasn’t as easy this summer but I will make it up to you and next summer will be better I promise.
- “Sometimes I shout too much, I know that”- I am not at all perfect and I make mistakes, I get frustrated. Fighting with your siblings is normal but it can grate on you after a while and it drives me mad listening to it.
- “I hate cleaning the house”- However it has to be done, sure I’d love to cuddle with you on the sofa and watch a film but the clothes won’t wash themselves and tomorrow you will be looking for your favourite shorts.
- “I hate to see you guys sad or unhappy”- I feel sad when you do, I feel pain when you do and I won’t let you see how I feel as I don’t want to cause you more anguish. I would love to say that life is perfect and that everything will be ok but in reality life is hard and we have to try make the best out of it.
- “I have watched you sleep”- I check on you guys before bed, listening to your heavy breathing and gentle snores at times. I hear your movements from my bedroom and I know when you awake from slumber. I hear your little whimpers when you are having a nightmare and I don’t remind you of it the next day when you have forgotten that I lay next to you and rubbed your forehead gently while you fell back asleep.
- “I hate that I can’t spend more time with you and I’m sorry”- I wish I had more hours, and I hate that you are growing older every single day and I don’t get to enjoy the moments to the full because I am so damn busy.
- “I love you”- I know I tell you all the time and I make sure I kiss you each day and have little chats but too many times you went to bed and I didn’t get to tuck you in. I adore you, love you and cherish you with all of my heart, I am not complete without you and never forget how much I love you.
Check out her own blog at emmasmadjotters.com