Here are some of the realities of marriage and having kiddies
For so many, the ideal scenario is getting married to the man or woman of your dreams, having a few kiddios and living the life of Reilly for the rest of your days but guess what? Parenting isn’t exactly a walk in the park and mixed with trying to keep your relationship in tip top shape it makes for a messy situation no matter how good you think you are at juggling!
Here are some of the realities of marriage and having kiddies, in my book anyhow!
- Tiredness becomes a way of life once you have kids and falling asleep before 10pm is completely acceptable for a parent. It is also perfectly acceptable to fall asleep while chatting to your partner or while talking on the phone to your Mother (she was boring you anyway!)
- Bodily functions are celebrated once you are a parent, a wee is great but a poop is extraordinary especially if you have been waiting all day for it to come out of your little one! The colour of said poop is a major topic and if your child vomits this means his crying will stop as he got up his wind which enables you to have a few hours’ sleep for yourselves.
- When the kids get older and smarter they will play you and your partner off against each other and 'Yes' you will fall for it! When your kid has been bold you and your partner will somehow blame each other while your scally wag gets off scot free and scuttles away!
- A romantic night in never goes as planned, the baby starts to cry, the dinner gets burnt and by the time everything is settled you both will be too tired to do anything let alone have some loving time! It does get better though once the kids are older the romantic meal for two is actually a meal for four or five as your kids will think nothing of hijacking your candle lit dinner once they smell the yummy food!
- Long romantic love ins will become a thing of the past and you will both have to make do with quickies, yes there will be no time to sip it but just about enough time to dip it! Who says romance is dead?!
- The most romantic thing your partner can do for you is to tell you to stay in bed while he gets up with the kids! He gets added bonus points if you sleep till midday before been woken to a breakfast fit for a Queen.
- There will be many arguments over the dishes, the dinners and the housekeeping in general. If I could afford I'd hire a cleaner and save myself the petty rows over who left the toilet seat up!
- Fancy lingerie will stay in the drawers as the one time you did wear it your kid wandered into your room and asked why you had on a Wonder Woman outfit!?
While you may kill each other you'll hopefully always have each other’s backs and unite at times of difficulty, like having the in laws over and trying to act like you can control your kids when it is fairly obvious to all that you can’t! Team work and all that!
Written by Emma. Emma is a writer with Family Friendly HQ and also writes her own parenting musings over at www.emmasmadjotters.com