Life is busier than ever before causing families some serious stress and anxiety. For whatever reason, you could be a busy parent too and unless you have a good support system in place you may be at risk of burn out.
Life is busier than ever before causing families some serious stress and anxiety. For whatever reason, you could be a busy parent too and unless you have a good support system in place you may be at risk of burn out. Luckily, we here at FFHQ know what it is like to feel stressed as we too are busy parents so we have compiled some tips on how to manage to take some of the pressure off.
Here are a few ideas:
- Plan. Ok we know it is hard to plan too much and there is only so much you can do if you are busy but if you plan for the busy days you may find more time to relax. Write lists and get organised with the weekly schedule, make meals ahead of time on the quieter days and keep on top of the house cleaning by asking all the family to help. If you know you have a busy week ahead then try and be proactive by ensuring everything is done. Yes, we know it is difficult when you are tired on the weekend but knowing that you have accomplished so much ahead of the week ahead will give you some piece of mind.
- Work with your partner. If you feel like you are being used at home or are taking care of most of the family jobs/tasks, tell your partner. They won’t know how you feel until you share it, so this is the moment of truth. No one wants the whole load of family life on their own head so try to get your partner involved and halve the issues your busy family is facing.
- Ask for help. Not only will your partner be a good support but if you are struggling ask others for help. Ask the grandparents to take the kids overnight so you can get some rest or alternatively, ask them to mind the kids while you work. Anything that can help is a good idea. Don’t feel shy about asking for help, the truth is we all need it sometimes and family or friends are usually delighted to aid you in your time of need.
- Talk to the kiddies. Don’t forget if you are overly busy the kids could be a big part of it. Are you picking up after them? Are the kids helping with chores? Are you taking on too much of their jobs? The reality is kids should be self-sufficient dependent on their age and even tiny ones can fold laundry and make their bed. Teach the kids to care about their home and remind them that if everyone helps it means that there is more FREE time to do as you wish when you wish.
- Think about your other commitments. This may seem impossible, but some bosses are understanding when it comes to juggling family life and a quick chat could help you manage your time better. If you volunteer now might be a good time to chat to fellow mentors or volunteers to discuss your position and how you need to take a back seat. You may want to do everything but sometimes it isn’t possible. The importance is on your health so take it easy.