This homemade bird feeder is a fun sensory experience for children.
Many parents across the country are filling their days with easy and accessible crafts and activities to help keep their children entertained. The reality is that many of us do not have time to partake in anything too elaborate or complex.
In many homes one or both parents are working from home and trying to home-school at the same time. Having a couple of simple craft ideas in the bag really helps. This home-made bird feeder really fits the bill.
We love crafts that actually involve items that you will have lying around the house. Two of the three "ingredients" in this craft idea are toilet paper rolls and peanut butter. When we read that we feel like we are winning already. So much time can be spent trying to source equipment and materials for a craft or experiment. This can really take from the experience for a lot of us as we end up feeling stressed and defeated before we have even began. This homemade bird feeder is genuinely easy to make. It's also a lot of fun.
You Will Need
- 1 toilet paper roll (minus the toilet paper)
- Some Peanut Butter
- Bird Seed
- String (optional)
If you cannot access some bird seed you can make your own with some fruit, nuts and seeds. You can read more about that here.
- Sprinkle some bird seed on to a plate or flat surface
- Using a knife or spoon spread the peanut butter on the outside surface of the empty toilet paper roll.
- Roll the toilet paper roll in the bird seed covering it completely (the peanut butter will make it stick)
- Loop the string on to the toilet paper roll and hang it from the branch of a tree or somewhere in the garden.
- If you don't have string simply loop the toilet paper holder on a branch like in this photograph.
Check out this and more of our videos on our new YouTube channel which you can subscribe to here