Our Mum blogger gives us some advice
- Teenagers make mistakes, and lots of them. Don’t be too hard on them as you were once a young ‘in yourself and hopefully they will learn from them.
- Teenagers will believe themselves to be adults and will like to be treated like one, however they are not quite adults yet, there is a difficult parenting balancing act required for this inbetween stage.
- They will pay no attention to you at times and totally forget things. Don’t take it personally if they forget to say “Happy Birthday” they are incredibly busy young people!
- They will use annoying phrases- For instance “like” , “massive” , “OMG” and “totes” are well worn phrases that your teenager might say.
- They might push you away but still want you near. One minute they will “hate” you and the last thing they want, is to be seen with you in public. However this phase passes. You just have to live with it for a while.
- It will be like returning to school with all the tests and exam stresses- Parents may have long finished school but once your teens are doing their exams it will be like you are reliving it. In fact you were probably calmer when it was you sitting the exams now it is your kid it has you worried sick.
- They love you but they won’t show it- In the midst of it all it can be easy to lose sight of the love between you and your teen. Of course they love you dearly but they just might not like you at times.
and Irish mummy blogger Emma from emmasmadjotters.com