Being a tween is hard, so one of the ways we can make their life easier is to help them with their skincare routine.
It’s good to get into the habit of looking after their skin correctly at this age as it will pay dividends later. It will also become as easy to remember as brushing their teeth if it’s a key part of their morning and evening routine. Here are some skincare do's and don’ts for tweens.
- Suggest they start a simple morning and evening skincare routine. Tweens should wash their face with a gentle, hydrating cleanser every morning and evening and then follow up with a moisturiser suited to their skin type.
- Remind them to use SPF every day to prevent skin damage from the sun. Even on cloudy days, their skin is still exposed to harmful UV rays.
- Wash their pillowcases regularly. Bacteria, dirt and oil from your tween’s pillowcase can clog their pores and cause blemishes, so this is an easy fix.
- Remind them to keep their mobile phone clean. Unfortunately, tweens spend more time than ever on their phones, and they can become covered in germs, oil, sweat and dust thus causing spots. By cleaning them carefully on a daily basis they can eliminate this issue.
- Tell them to drink plenty of water. There are many benefits of drinking water and these include that they’ll maintain their skin’s elasticity and prevent excess oil secretion. It will also give them a healthy glow!
- Let them pick at spots as this can actually make them worse. The spot may become more red and inflamed and it could look bigger and more noticeable. It’s better to focus on preventing them from occurring.
- Ask them not to wash their face with dirty hands. If their hands aren’t clean, they could transfer dirt and bacteria onto their face and do more harm than good.
- Let them over-exfoliate or wash their face too regularly. If they overdo it, they could leave their skin red and irritated which isn’t something they want. They also shouldn’t try too many different products or buy a product just because it’s popular, tell them to focus on what suits their own skin.
- Educate them on why they shouldn’t eat too much fast food. Unfortunately, by consuming it too regularly their skin will suffer because of the unhealthy fats and chemicals it contains. Let your tween know that fruit and vegetables will help keep their skin clear and healthy and they might actually want to eat their greens for a change!