No 4: If you are pregnant and carrying high with a big round belly you are most definitely having a girl!
Mammies and Nanas are very funny with their old wives tales. No amount of arguing with them will get you anywhere as they are always right! When I was growing up I was told many of these tales, and I actually believed them. Now as an adult (or maybe just a big girl) I know better of it but some can be rather entertaining.
Here are a few of the funniest ones I have heard.
- A full moon will cause a pregnant woman to go into labour. So let’s get this right when there is a full moon, the labour wards are heaving..somehow I don’t think so!
- If you have heartburn throughout your pregnancy then your baby will be born with a head full of hair. I don’t think this is true as I suffered with heartburn during pregnancy and there was not a single strand on my tots head nor was there for a full year. Totally bald.
- If you keep making funny faces and funny eyes it will stay like that if the wind changes. I heard this a number of times and I’m ashamed to admit I say it to my kids now. There are only so many times you can laugh at their silly faces before enough is enough.
- If you are pregnant and carrying high with a big round belly you are most definitely having a girl and if you are carrying lower and smaller that sticks out it is a boy. There is no need for scans so just stick with this advice, so what if you have to repaint the nursery walls once baby is born.
- If you have new shoes it is bad luck to leave them on a table or chair. This is what my Grandmother really believed in.
- If your nose is itchy you are going to have a fight with someone. If my nose is itchy it just needs a scratch, I don’t think I’m going to turn all “Mike Tyson” and knock someone out. At least it hasn’t happened yet anyway.
- If your ears are burning someone is talking about you. Better still, if your hands are itchy, money is coming your way. Now that doesn’t sound too bad!