As a busy working mum, it makes life easier for us in a variety of different ways.
Many years ago, online food shopping was considered to be a little fancy.
It was a luxury to be able to stock up the fridge
and presses without stepping foot outside your home.
These days it is the normal way of shopping for a lot of families for a lot of different reasons.
There are so many reasons why I love online food shopping. As a busy working mum, it makes life easier for us in a variety of different ways. Here are just ten of the reasons why I really love online food shopping.
1. It’s a great way of saving money. The discount supermarket down the road might be cheaper all round but with online shopping you can literally see the amount of money being spent as you spend it. If you cap yourself at a certain amount then you have to be a little more clever with your choices and that usually involves getting more for your bucks.
2. Special offers and deals are really easy to spot and find. It’s usually where I start the whole shopping experience. For example, if large boxes of washing powder are on offer one week I’ll prioritise that and get a couple of cheaper branded food items to balance things. I find it really handy.
3. I am way more likely to meal plan when I am doing an online shop. It makes the whole shopping experience easier as I am going in with a game plan rather than just shopping blind and throwing things into my virtual trolley. Many of the supermarkets will offer recipe prompts and meal ideas in a certain tab too which is really helpful.
4. The supermarket brings your food to your home. Need I say more? It is beyond joyful to avoid packing the shopping, packing up the car, unpacking the car and then unpacking the shopping before putting it away. This is just.... easy. Especially when you have kids.
5. We eat healthier as a family. When online shopping I have more self-control as I am not physically walking beside or down the crisp and chocolate aisle. I end up buying less rubbish which benefits everyone in the long run.
6. You can do the food shop well in advance and schedule the delivery. For example, you might need your food shop on a Monday but struggle to find the time to do it that day. Online food shopping gives you the luxury of “doing” the shop a couple of days before it arrives. I find this brilliant when we are on holidays. I take an hour to myself and casually put together an online food shop so that when I’m knee-deep in laundry and back-to-reality chores I know the food shop is taken care of.
7. You don’t have to work on memory when it comes to remembering what you have in the house. When doing an online shop you can simply run into the kitchen and check for yourself. This will save you money and reduce waste.
8. In my experience, the produce that arrives is super fresh and high quality. I’ve never had to send anything back but if you are unhappy with an item you simply tell the driver and they remove it from your order and take it back before the payment is adjusted.
9. It can be a great way to stock up on bulky items when you don’t drive or have a limited amount of car space. I know a lot of people who buy nappies, wipes and toiletries in bulk for this very reason. It saves a lot of hassle and takes the heavy lifting out of it too.
10. If the kids are sick, the car breaks down or the weather is awful you always have the option to have your food shopping delivered. I just find this very reassuring because life can throw so many surprises at you but little (and big) mouths will always need to be fed and watered.
Tracey is a happy mammy to four-year-old Billy. She is a breastfeeder, gentle parent and has recently lost five stone so healthy family eating is her passion! You can find her at www.loveofliving.ie.