"Public service announcement, they lied. My child is three and is still very much part of the non sleeping club"
- Everyone is talking about the fact that naps are “long gone”. You, however, are in the annoying place of having a child who is exhausted (because they won't sleep at night) and needs a nap. But the bloomin' nap makes night-time even worse. If you go without the nap they fall asleep at 3/4 in the day and it's worse again so you are stuck between a rock and a hard place.
- You hear other parents talking about a “bad night” (and for them, it really is!) and acknowledge that this would be a very good night for you.
- You take to bed with your phone (and know how bad this is, don't worry) but there is regularly a long stint every evening where you lay in bed trying to help your child get off to sleep and when it finally happens you only have energy to participate in the social life which exists on the internet.
- You become obsessed with the things your child eats and drinks after 4pm because it “might affect bed time”. It rarely makes a different because things are pretty dire anyway but it gives you a bit of daily comfort to at least try.
- You don't want to be that parent but sleep, in some way, comes in to 90% of the conversations you have with other humans.
Check out her own blog at www.loveofliving.ie