Why do people feel the need to butt in on your parenting style
- “Would you not cut his hair or people will think he's a girl?”. Good idea, I'll do it immediately. Thank you for alerting me to this.
- “He is too old for a soother. Soothers are for babies” (directed at said baby). Good afternoon to you too stranger lady.
- “Back in my day X didn't even exist and we got by just fine”. I've never argued that fact. I am deeply sorry if current parenting practices offend you but this is my life.
- “You mean he's not (toilet) trained by now?”. As I awkwardly stand in the nappy aisle looking for our size.
- “He needs a friend. Would you not have another one?”. I'm on a public bus and I've never met you before. Can we maybe just talk about the weather or something?
- “Ah Jesus, he hardly likes that stuff does he?”. No my two year old has an uncanny ability to pretend he enjoys foods (hummus that particular day.).
- “He's manipulating you. He's as cute”. I hear you but smack bang in the middle of a tantrum is not ideal timing for a lecture.
- “I know a girl who still lets her three year old in to the bed with them. It's disgraceful”. Well this is awkward....
Written by Tracey, mummy blogger and staff writer at www.familyfriendlyhq.ie.
Check out her own blog at www.loveofliving.ie