They get a lot of bad press but toddlers have many surprising advantages
- Tantrums! These are absolutely NOT a good time however they've given me a legitimate reason to leave a few undesirable situations recently. The neighbour who talks for Ireland? The man selling cheaper house insurance? Toddlers give you a great reason for “having” to leave immediately. Sorry not sorry.
- They like to play by themselves. Some children are more in to this than others but we have just entered the stage where our son likes to get on his hunkers and play with all his cars and figurines for anything up to 30 minutes. This is a golden opportunity to get the dinner ready or have a cheeky cup of coffee.
- They tell you when they've done a poo. This actually makes life easier all round. We're nowhere near toilet training but my 2.5 year old tells me immediately when he has done one and it makes life a lot easier than spending your day sniffing and inspecting. It also means nappy rash is pretty much a thing of the past.
- You have a pretty good idea of what they like and dislike when it comes to food. Some toddlers are better grubbers than others but isn't there a lot to be said for knowing what snacks to pack for a busy day out of the house?
- They may be seriously independent but the minute they have a bath or get in to Pjs they are transported to baby land. Sleepy toddler cuddles are a thing of beauty.
- They understand what you are saying. It feels like our toddler learns a new word every day recently. He totally understands when I ask him to do something and it makes life a lot easier. He knows where we are going and who we are going to see. He is also happy to be a little helper and loves putting things in the bin or putting his toys away (occasionally).
- They develop interests. This makes life a lot easier. It means a favourite TV show can come to the rescue and you have some guidance for presents and clothes. It's amazing to see their personality and preferences develop.
- They encourage you to get more fresh air and make the most of the day. Everyone knows that a full day indoors with a toddler is a long day. Fresh air helps them burn some of that toddler energy and is often linked to a better night's sleep. This encourages you to visit more outdoor places, get more fresh air yourself and generally be more active.
- Their world is 100 miles per hour which has it's perks. When you find yourself getting stressed our by bills or adult life they will quickly demand something and distract you from the stress. I love this one! I'm unable to feel stressed and bogged down for too long because I don't have the luxury of time.
- You start to get a bit of a social life back. In some cased becoming a toddler goes hand in hand with better sleep, routines and being happy enough to sleep over at a grandparents house. It makes it easier to plan a date night or a lunch with the girls.
Check out her own blog at www.loveofliving.blogspot.ie