Having a date night at home really makes sense when you are a parent. It reduces the cost because you won’t be spending money on more expensively priced food and drinks. It also means you don’t have to worry about having a babysitter. You can keep the family routine as normal and send the kids off to bed oblivious to the fact that Mammy and Daddy are about to have a date while they sleep.
Having a date night at home
really makes sense when you are a parent. It reduces the cost because you won’t be spending money on more expensively priced food and drinks. It also means you don’t have to worry about having a babysitter. You can keep the family routine as normal and send the kids off to bed oblivious to the fact that Mammy and Daddy are about to have a date
while they sleep.
To some people, this may sound a little bit boring. It could be quite normal to get a takeaway and have a glass of wine at the weekend when the kids go to bed. But it really can be as exciting as you want it to be. Having a date night
with a theme forces you to think a little bit more about the date night. You might have to pick up certain bits and pieces throughout the week and you can chat about it and build up the excitement in the lead up to it.
Here are some themed date night ideas that you can have in your own home when the kids have gone to the land of nod:
- Games Night. Monopoly, Scrabble or whatever takes your fancy. Playing a board game together is great for getting you off your phones and actually spending quality time together. A bit of healthy competition is a good thing and over time you can build up your stash of different games to keep things exciting.
- Mexican night. Pick up a cheap fajita kit, some bottles of beers and go full hog with the lime piece pushed into the bottle. It is a bit of fun to pair the food and drinks to make it feel more like a restaurant.
- Couple pamper night. So this one will not be for everyone but it is a really nice idea if it works for you and your partner. It is as simple as a nice shower/bath, fresh PJs and a bit of a pamper. You can light some candles, stick a face mask on and paint your nails while watching a relaxing movie together. Your partner may or may not be interested in joining you on the face mask but the vibe of the night will be self-care. We recommend fresh bed sheets that night too – it really rounds the night off perfectly. Everything feels fresh and clean and you will wake up feeling a million dollars.
- Recreate a memorable meal together. Was there a special meal you shared together in the past? Wouldn’t it be lovely to try to recreate that together in the kitchen? You could pair it with the wine or cocktail you had on the night too and talk about life then and now. We love this idea.
- Backyard picnic. Light some candles, put on some music and enjoy some quality time together in the great outdoors in the safe knowledge that you are still at home. You could lay out a blanket or use your garden furniture. A “picky” tapas style dinner works really well for this. Why not pick up some fancy olives, cured meats, cheeses and sourdough bread? It is a breath of fresh air (literally) and a change of scenery with all the benefits of still being at home. Bonus points for being able to play the music a little louder out there too – we don’t want to wake up the kids!