Our career guidance expert's guide to choosing subjects for the leaving cert.
- Take 7 subjects
- Take the subjects you like – subjects you like are subjects you will do well in.
- Take higher level in as many as possible
- Check matriculation requirements for colleges
- Check subject requirements for college courses
To include: English, Maths, Irish and /or EU language. (Unless exempt.)
To include: Maths, English or Irish.
- TCD require - 3 Hons in the 6 Matric subjects incl. Irish or EU language
- UCD, NUIM, other NUI’s – Irish and EU language except for Engineering, Science and Social Science (2015) Degrees. (maths OD3)
- NCAD – - - - Irish, EU language or Art Colleges of Education - Irish Hons. - no EU language
- DIT – All degrees - Irish or English - no EU language
- RCSI - as NUI - Irish and EU language
- UCD Med. Vet, Physio, Radiog, Health Sc., Biomed.- Irish and EU language.
- UCD :Laboratory Science Subjects are - Agricultural Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, PhysChem., Geography, Applied Maths.
- TCD - Maths and Geog. are on the list of subjects from which 2 must be presented for Science, Medicinal Chemistry, Pharmacy, Earth Sciences.
- Maths may be 1 of the 2 science subjects required for Human Genetics, Nanoscience and Physiotherapy
- Give your chosen subjects a chance in Sept by having a good and consistent study plan.
- If something is not working out seek help immediately.
- Keep up your sports, other extra-curricular activities and social life in balance with school.
- Bear in mind that the Leaving Cert. is a 2 year course and requires 2 years work. Encourage 5th years to take the career/course research opportunities that arise throughout the year to further their knowledge
Careers: Lawyer, Doctor, Teacher, Engineer, Computer programmer, Business, Management, Sales, Marketing and Advertising, Scientific work and Academic fields.
Subjects: English, History, Languages, Link Modules, Music, Art, Religious Education.
Subjects: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Applied Maths, Accounting, Economics.
Careers: Technical Maintenance, Design, Management (how complex organisation fit together).
Subjects: Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Music, History, Art, Applied Maths.
Subjects: All subjects, for exam performance
Subjects: Physics, Applied Maths, Construction Studies, Engineering, Technology, Design and Communication Graphics.
Subjects Art, Home Economics, Design and Communication Graphics, Construction Studies, Engineering, Technology.
Subjects: All Science, Business, Languages, History, Geography, Home Economics, RE, Music, Art.
Subjects: Business, Language, History, Geography, Home Economics, RE, Music, Art.