5 helpful hints that can get you through it
A teenager is independent, opinionated and grumpy (at times) but they also can be kind, caring and responsible but nothing is ever certain such is teenager-hood. In some cases, a teenager will transform suddenly from a cheery little one that laughed at your silly jokes to a sullen grump! You may find you are suddenly arguing all the time with your teenager and this fills you with regret as you obviously want to be communicative with your teen especially during these awkward years.
No parent is ever ready to parent no matter what age your child is and we are all doing the same thing, learning as we go along and doing our utmost best to get it right. There are some things you could consider as you enter this phase but bear in mind that all kids are different, one teen will be a breeze through life whereas another could be every parent’s nightmare.
- Be open and honest- If you adopt an open door policy where your child can come to you and without judgement to get your opinion. Be honest with each other and encourage trust in your relationship.
- Know your teens friends- This is vital as these are the people who will be around your kid when you aren’t. Are they good kids? Do you know their parents? If not get to know their parents and work together to ensure the teenagers behave and that you have the same values. If you don’t have the same ideas at least you are ahead of the game and know if there may be any potential trouble ahead.
- Check in- Check in with your teen, and think about where they spend most of their time. Try to be aware of where they are with their friends.
- Have rules and don’t be afraid to punish your teen- There has to be rules and boundaries for your teenager and have a discipline plan in place if they fail to follow the rules. Be consistent, always.
- Be a good role model- If you want your teen to work hard show them how, if you want them to do well encourage them and be there for them along the way. Be interested in their life and always take the time to sit down and have a chat with no distractions.