Here are some of the main differences between the start and end of the school year...
Have you noticed how parents behave differently during the first few weeks of the year and the last few weeks of the year? Or maybe it is just me and please don’t judge me but this whole parenting lark and homework and getting the kids to school is tough; right?!
This makes for interesting insights and it is quite funny too! Here are some of the main differences between the start and end of the school year... but we're sure there are plenty more:
- Start of the year: For breakfast this morning I have hand-chopped these beautiful pieces of fruit into the shapes I know you love, honey. This is also a smoothie I whipped up especially for you. Do you want pancakes tomorrow?’
- End of the year: ‘There is cereal in the box on the counter. Help yourself and hands up who wants a banana?’
- Start of the year: ‘You can’t go to school wearing that uniform, did you roll around in the shirt? I only ironed it yesterday. Do you want to make a show of yourself and me?’
- End of the year: ‘I don’t care that the jumper has bobbles on it or that you dropped jam on your trousers, go to school!’
- Start of the year: ‘Here you go honey, these are perfectly polished for school and I’ll do them once a week to keep that lovely shine on your shoes. Come here and show me them, sure you are only gorgeous!’
- End of the year: ‘I don’t care what you put on your feet! Leave your slippers on for all I care.’
- Start of the year: ‘Lunch today is a fruit salad, mini wrap with tomatoes, cheese and lettuce dressed with a Caesar sauce and a homemade granola bar that is totally sugar-free.’
- End of the year: ‘Lunch again?’ *Throws together a ham sandwich, pops apple in lunch box and is out of homemade treats so adds a penguin bar!
- Start of the year: ‘Now, all the pencils are in order of colour. I also labelled them with your name on it and your pencil case has different pouches for rubbers and sharpeners.’
- End of the year: ‘For god’s sake, just throw them all into the pencil case will ya?! What do you mean you lost your colours? Here are another pack – don’t lose them and no, I am not labelling them!’
School drop off
- Start of the year: ‘Here we go, kids! Isn’t it fun walking to school, we will do this every day. Gosh aren’t you all so well behaved and we are right on time.’
- End of the year: ‘Are you kidding me? Where are you all hiding? GET INTO THE CAR NOW!’
- Start of the year: ‘Oh come here to me and give me a BIG hug! I missed you so much and I am so glad you are coming home now.’
- End of the year: ‘Hey, where is your schoolbag and why is half your lunch on your jumper and is that a nit?
- Start of the year: ‘Now lovey you must do your homework properly so let’s sit down and go through it again. If it takes all night we will get there as you, my darling are my little brain box’
- End of the year: ‘Do you know your spellings? Good!’
- Start of the year: ‘Lie down and I’ll read you a story. I might sing some of the nursery rhymes too.’
- End of the year: ‘Go to sleep!’
Can anyone else relate?!
Emma Hayes is a thirty-something mum of two girls aged 16 and 10, planting her right into the teenage and tween-age years! Follow her on Twitter at @EmmaHayes25.