As parents, it is important we teach our children to grow up to be independent and resilient.
Obviously these are all age-dependent, but for the most part, the following things are stuff your kids should be well able to do around the house, without your input...
- Make their own school lunches (Monday to Friday obviously)
- Brush their own hair
- Make their own bed every morning
- Tidy up after themselves
- Put the dinner dishes in the dishwasher
- Empty the dishwasher, yeah, you get the idea
- Put clothes away... whether they belong to them or not
- Get their uniform ready the night before... because that is an absolute pain in the bum to do
- Wipe down the counters... and, obviously, vacuum up whatever they put on the floor
- Feed the dog… if you have one
- Put on a wash… even if you need help to make sure they’re not mixing whites with colours
- Water the plants both inside and outside... this one is dependent on how often the plants need water though
- Vacuum... maybe not every day but at least once a week
- Complete their homework properly