Without the need for a babysitter, taxi money or expensive food and cocktails you can afford to stock up on a few treats to enjoy in the comfort of your own home.
There are so many good reasons to have a date night at home.
Finances tend to be a big obstacle for couples particularly when they have children.
Having a date night at home cuts the cost enormously. Without the need for a babysitter, taxi money or expensive food and cocktails you can afford to stock up on a few treats to enjoy in the comfort of your own home.
Having a date night at home is also less work. There is less planning and logistics involved meaning the actual levels of relaxation and enjoyment might be even stronger than if you ventured out.
There is also something really lovely about enjoying your home as a couple
. So much of your home is fuelled by family life. There may be a constant feeling of activity which can make it difficult to truly relax in your living quarters.
Enjoying a date night at home is a great way to experience and enjoy your home in a new light.
However, in order to really enjoy a date night at home it is important that your home is date night friendly. These tips should help you to create a space that is more welcoming for a relaxing and romantic experience.
1. Do you have adequate toy storage? It is difficult to enjoy your home as an adult if you feel like you are sitting in a play centre. Try to find toy storage solutions which encourage an adult space in the evening time. A couple of large toy boxes or the IKEA Kallax unit are popular solutions.
2. Do you have blackout blinds? You might be limited to certain times due to your children’s sleep and waking schedules. During the summer you might want to enjoy a movie night together but it won’t feel particularly cosy with the sun beating through the windows at 9pm. Black out blinds or curtains are a great idea. They are cheap and cheerful from Amazon.
3. Do you have nice glasses to enjoy your tipple of choice in? A big fancy gin can totally happen at home, you just have to pick up the nice glasses and treat yourself to the “good” tonic. Sure go mad and throw in some cocktail umbrellas because this is your night!
4. Do you have a Netflix subscription? It is a library of movies, documentaries and series’ that you can enjoy together. There is nothing worse than spending three hours deciding on a movie and falling asleep half way through it. Netflix is smart and will recommend things based on what you have watched in the past.
5. Invest in a good baby monitor so that you can truly relax in the knowledge that your baby/child is safe and in your eyeline. A video monitor is particularly reassuring.
6. This one relates to your family plans rather than the physical house but what have you planned for tomorrow? Could the date night feel like a big regret if you’re up at the crack of dawn to meet friends for breakfast. Think about making the most of your date night by considering the plans that follow it. And for the love of God pick up some nice sausages for the morning because that big fancy gin might have just turned in to two!
Tracey is a happy mammy to four-year-old Billy. She is a breastfeeder, gentle parent and has recently lost five stone so healthy family eating is her passion! You can find her at www.loveofliving.ie.