Just because your not in an office doesn't mean that you don't have a busy schedule
Working from home is no different
to working in an office
though a lot of people don’t see this and assume working from home is easier! With this in mind here are a few things we suggest you should never say to a work from home Mammy unless you want to unleash her wrath!
- “What do you do all day?”- Ah I work like you do, I drop the kids to school and hit work just it is located at home. It makes no difference if it is at home or in an office in fact you probably have more to prove working from home in case your boss thinks you are slacking.
- “Tired? At least you can rest at home!”- Yes because I have little to do and ample time to take naps and rest on the sofa. The reality is the T.V isn’t turned on all day and I spend the hours just as I would in the office-working!
- “What do you mean you don’t have time?”- Just because I am at home doesn’t mean I have to drop you here and there, visit relatives and have lunch. I may not have a typical job and may not be in the office but that doesn’t mean I have free reign to do as I like, I still have a job.
- “So you don’t really work full time?”- Actually yes I do from home like I mentioned a thousand times over to you, I do have some leeway and can collect the kids and have a break when it suits me but that just means I work till 8pm or 9pm while you are resting after your 9-5 job.
- “You must be less stressed?”- Having a job at home does have its advantages like not having to commute and sit in traffic for an hour however you have to be disciplined in your time management and it is so easy to overwork. Having your office at home means you can work over time without noticing as you try to get ahead.
- “You get paid to sit at home all day?”- I am not just sitting home all day and relaxing, I am doing my job as any professional does just in another setting. I don’t sit around, laze, or even take advantage of the system, I just keep at it and try to juggle everything like every other person does in the world.
- “I can drop in anytime so”- No, no you can’t as silly as it sounds I actually have a really strict schedule to adhere to and people just dropping in would cause my work roster to change and become chaotic. By all means we can meet up or you can drop in but it will have to pre-arrange so I can be organised and once our little chit chat is over I have to head back to my desk and work!
Any parents have it hard, working parents, stay at home parents, working from home parents and the sooner we all realise this the better!