What the wonderful friendship that started (or blossomed) at Slimming World looks like.
I’m Tracey! I am a Slimming World Consultant in Tallaght but most importantly I am a Slimming World member.
I have lost five stone following the plan and words cannot convey just how much it has changed my life in every single way. I was a comfort eater, a secret eater and miserably unhappy for all of my teenage life.
Since becoming a parent something clicked for me. I want to be around for my son for as long as I can be. I don’t want him to grow up seeing food as the enemy and as a reason to hide his emotions. Slimming World has changed everything for me and I want to help others do the same.
There is something extremely special about the friendships that are formed at Slimming World. In some cases, they began long before any plans to join a group together were made. Joining that group cemented that friendship and strengthened a bond. For others, it was simply a case of meeting a person in that very room.
What can initially feel like a lonely journey suddenly becomes a meaningful and important part of both of your lives. Doing it together and supporting each other makes the world of difference.
That wonderful friendship that started (or blossomed) at Slimming World looks a little bit like this.
1. They see it as completely normal to photograph every single meal you eat for the purpose of WhatsApp or social media – even if it’s the same lunch or dinner you photographed yesterday.
They talk you into going to group
even when you’ve categorically informed them that you won’t be going tonight. You list all of the very valid reasons why there is “no point” and somehow their reply changes your mind. You suddenly find yourself at group, having a great time and really grateful that they changed your mind.
3. They tag you in every meme, status and photograph that in any way pertains to Slimming World, weight loss or food.
4. They sometimes rat you out and it’s hilarious. You’re ready to give up, proclaiming the facts regarding how it is NOT working for you and they politely remind you of the spice bag you devoured on Saturday night. You’re raging, you’re smiling and you’re nodding along knowing they are right. You needed that bit of reality.
5. The friendship started at the tea and coffee table at group. It was the slowest boiling kettle on the planet and life stories were exchanged as you prepared the best cuppa of the week.
6. They’ll talk you out of (or in to) a post-weigh-in treat.
7. You have to keep telling each other to stop talking amongst yourselves in group. You just can’t help it. Someone mentioned a recipe and now you’re getting excited, making plans and giggling about it together!
8. They never ever judge you. You both have weeks where you lose and you both have weeks where you gain. You both have weeks where you really care and weeks where it isn’t even a consideration but here you are supporting each other to help make the next week a better one.
9. They’ll pick you up the thing that you’ve both been lusting after if they see it first. It’s completely normal to gift someone with a bag of Quorn nuggets, right?
10. Their name in your phone book has “SW” or “Slimming World” in there somewhere. Eventually, you drop it because this friendship now transcends one day a week!
Tracey is a happy mammy to four-year-old Billy. She is a breastfeeder, gentle parent and has recently lost five stone so healthy family eating is her passion! You can find her at www.loveofliving.ie.