It’s a familiar feeling for most of us. You just wake up on the wrong side of the bed sometimes.
It's one of those days. You are in a terrible mood and you have a fairly good idea that the day will continue as it has started. You stub your toe on the bed, there is a rip in your tights, and there is not enough milk left for your cereal. You feel like telling the world that you are not playing today.
The day tends to spiral in this way from start to finish. Every little thing gets on your nerves. People irritate you by simply talking. The radio is too loud, your seat is not comfortable, and your lunch is totally unremarkable. You just wish you could fast forward and start fresh tomorrow.
What I have learnt lately is that you can actually change your mindset quicker than you might think. I’m not talking magic and I’m not talking faking it. I mean genuinely really and truly feeling better. So give it a go. It might just help!
- Listen to your favourite upbeat song. It sounds corny but music really does have the power to transcend any negative mood that might be present. An upbeat, up-tempo song that reminds you of good times. The song you danced to at your wedding. That holiday song that brings you right back there. It really works. It can shake your current mood and remind you that this is just one day in the grand scheme of things.
- Make plans. One of the things that motivates me, particularly throughout the work-day, is having something to look forward to. Text your partner, a friend or family member and make plans to do something you will enjoy. It will keep you going for a couple of days and will give you something pleasant to focus on.
- Eat healthy food and drink water. What do we generally do when we are in bad form? Pig out. It is a vicious cycle though and we generally feel worse after that greasy fast food for lunch. With so many delicious healthier options available you will genuinely feel more energised and refreshed if you are good to your body on a day like this. On the absolute contrary, have a little treat with a cuppa. You deserve it!
- Surround yourself with people who make you feel good. Sitting beside a drainer in work? We all know someone who drains us of all our energy. Someone who focuses so much on negativity that it eventually affects us too. In this scenario, I will text a friend, or call my partner on my lunch break. A more positive upbeat person will rub off you too, even if you are perfectly committed to being in a sulk for the day.
- Wash away your worries. Seriously - have you ever fully appreciated the healing properties of a hot shower or bath? It quite literally washes away your mood. You may not feel 100% better after it, but it clears your mind, makes you feel better and relaxes you.
And let’s not forget that these days usually pass as quickly as they arrived. They run their course and you can feel like a new person the next day. Sometimes it is as much about putting a day behind you and actively choosing to focus on the good. What we think about we bring about!