How to 'zap' all that bacteria that lingers on your kitchen sponges and cloths

Kitchen sponges are a major source of germs, harboring bacteria, mold and yeast

Kitchen sponges are a major source of germs, harboring bacteria, mold and yeast
If you'd like to zap all that bacteria that lingers on your kitchen sponge- you can use the microwave! You just need to make sure the sponge saturated with water first (very important)!
Saturate the sponge in water; heat on 'HIGH' for about one minute. Keep an eye on it.
If the sponge is dry and there's no water left in it to attract energy-the sponges itself will attract energy and can catch fire, so make sure there's lots of water on it before putting it in to be nuked!
Watch out though – the zapped sponges will be really hot and steamy, so should be left in the microwave for a few minutes to cool. Don't use any sponges that contain any metal.
Researchers at the University of Florida reported that simply microwaving sponges at high power killed or inactivated over 99 percent of pathogens in sponges.
Another option is to put the sponge into a dishwasher for a full wash and dry cycle.
 
{{ post.excerpt }}
{{ post.content.formatted }}

What is Family Friendly HQ?

Family Friendly HQ is Ireland’s trusted parenting community, dedicated to mums and dads, and families of all shapes and sizes.

Read more about us