9 Things You Should Never Put in the Microwave

The microwave is a handy kitchen appliance - but it can't handle everything.

It almost seems like it can do ANYTHING.
It heats things in a fraction of the time, but sometimes it also makes things explode. The microwave can't handle everything. There are some things you put in the microwave oven that can make it all go very wrong!
Food Containers With Metal
Stop before you heat up last night's take out- if the containers have metal  on them. Metal is more solid than food, so as the microwave heats up, molecules in the metal start to vibrate, but don't have any outlet- which could start a fire. Be sure to place the food you want to heat on a microwave friendly plate or a bowl before reheating.
Eggs in Their Shells
Never try to hard-boil an egg in the microwave. When the egg is in the shell and it's being heated, the steam from the egg has no where to go, so the egg will explode when it gets too hot. So crack the eggs into a suitable container and pierce the yolk before microwaving.
Vintage Crockery
Establish limits on leachable lead in crockery were not set until about 40 years ago, so some old tablewear may be dangerous for use in the microwave. 
Travel Mugs
Many travel mugs are made from stainless steel in parts (even if they are not visable to the eye). So always check that manufacturer says they're "microwave safe" before reheating. To be safe- transfer it into a cup suitable for the microwave and then transfer it back if you need it on the go!
Dinner Wear With Metallic Trims
As we explain above, metal is a fire-starter in the microwave and chances are the beautiful trim that adorns these gorgeous plates and bowls fits into that category. 
Styrofoam Containers
Styrofoam can often be used to store take our food from a food counter in a shop that you might want to heat up / reheat. It is a type of plastic. And plastic doesn't play nice in the microwave - unless otherwise marked on the container.
Never heat socks ot gloves, or any clothing item in the microwave for a quick heat on a cold morning. Use the dryer instead. Putting items of clothing in the microwave can cause a fire as there's no water in the clothing for the microwave to pull energy from.
Food with Raisins or Grapes in it
Grapes will explode. And raisins will smoke. 
Aluminum Foil
Once again, never put any type of metal, even the foil that's covering any leftovers, in the microwave. It could start a fire.

{{ post.excerpt }}
{{ post.content.formatted }}

What is Family Friendly HQ?

Family Friendly HQ is Ireland’s trusted parenting community, dedicated to mums and dads, and families of all shapes and sizes.

Read more about us