"I've four kids running rings around me the best of days so my time is limited."
I've four kids running rings around me the best of days so my time is limited. Then one day someone introduced me to the slow cooker and I have never looked back. Here's why I absolutely adore my slow cooker:
- Dump Bags. Sounds gross, I know! If you know you have a hectic week coming up, you can prepare dinners in advance into little dump bags. Just simply chop all your veg up and plop them along with your meat into a bag and freeze. And them take out as you need. It’s genius.
- Kids hungry before the hubby or wife gets in from work? Sorted. Once the food is cooked you can serve up and drop the temperature of your crock pot to warm. It's perfect for families who eat at different times.
- Show me the money? Slow cookers use less electricity than conventional ovens and stoves. And they cost as little as thirty quid. Well mine did anyways and it wasn’t on sale. Bargain if you ask me.
- Slow cookers make the juiciest most succulent chicken you will ever taste in your life. Foods like ribs, pork and chicken literally fall off the bone (and sometimes into your mouth before they make it to a plate!)
- Your house will smell amazing! You can kid your neighbours and pals into thinking you are a domestic goddess. Foods from slow cookers smell too damn good. The aroma will warm up your house every single time.
- One of my all-time favourites about a slow cooker is serving up. There's no mashing potatoes. You literally throw it all in and leave it too cook away and serve up once ready.
- With one of these handy crock pots there’s less washing too. The pot in removable and if steeped in a bit of warm water and washing up liquid they are a dream to clean down. It’s takes seconds and you literally just pop it back in until your next slow cooking adventure.
- It’s a heaven sent if you’re stuck for time. I’m a busy mum of four and struggle to entertain my kids whilst cooking dinner and then some days I’m in and out of the house like a yoyo too. You can pop your slow cooker on as your prepping breakfast and you don’t have to touch it again until late in the afternoon. It would be so handy if you worked out of the hone for that reason too. I would have loved one of these cookers when I was working as I was always exhausted when I arrived home and never had the energy to cook.
- They rock when you are cooking for dozens. Last week I celebrated my 30th birthday and had all the family over for a bit of cake. Last minute I decided to make a curry for everyone and when I say threw, I mean it. I threw a curry together in the slow cooker in less than five minutes (if you don’t count the time it took me to open two cans of chopped tomatoes, they get me every single time!) and served it up with enough rice to feed a famine. I fed ten adults and approximately ten kids, there was so many running around it was impossible to count from one 5.5 litre slow cooker.
Written by Kellie Kearney, Guest Writer With Family Friendly HQ.