Returning to work after your baby can be a whole lot easier if you apply these practical advice
- Always leave your clothes out the night before. That goes for you and your baby now. I literally lay everything out even down to underwear, footwear and jewellery. My son’s little “pile” consists of his vest, clothes, socks, shoes, bib and accompanying soother string to attach to it. This makes life so much easier in the morning when you are not thinking as straight.
- Never ever utter the words “what will we have for dinner tonight?”. Trust me this will not work. You are both exhausted, baby is cranky, and it’s only an hour until bed-time. You need to have dinner somewhat sorted. I try to batch cook 2-3 meals at the weekend so that I have most of the week sorted food wise. It is an absolute pain and I always try to convince myself that I don’t need to do it but I am only codding myself. Having dinner sorted on those work nights is invaluable. I make easy one pot wonders and family favourites like Chilli, Spaghetti Bolognese, Shepherd's Pie, Lasagne, Curry and Stew. Easily reheatable, freeze and defrost well, and they are hearty healthy meals with lots of vegetables in them.
- Shower at night. This might not work for everyone but it is a great way of killing two birds with one stone. It helps you unwind in the evenings time and also saves time in the morning. There is nothing like getting into fresh PJ's after a nice hot shower after work. Bliss.
- If at all possible, eat breakfast at work. This also goes for your child eating breakfast at Creche or the Child Minders. It saves a huge amount of time. Anything that helps you get out the door with ease will make the morning much more manageable.
- Teamwork is key. While one of you showers/does make-up/gets dressed etc the other should dress the baby.
- Leave everything in an accessible and convenient place. I pack the baby bag and leave it at the hall door. I also leave my handbag beside my clothes that I have left out for the morning.
- Make your bed. This might sound controversial but when I come home after a long day in work and see my bed made, it makes me feel a whole lot more “together” than I actually am.
- Get a take-away on a Friday. You have earned it. One night of no cooking and cleaning up literally keeps me going for days. It really is the little things.
Check out her own blog at loveofliving.ie