Keeping the kids entertained and maintaining your own sanity during the holidays can be difficult! We don’t have the money or the time to be constantly travelling, going places or doing activities with the kids so here are some ways to keep them happy in your own backyard.
Keeping the kids entertained and maintaining
your own sanity during the holidays can be difficult! We don’t have the money or the time to be constantly travelling, going places
or doing activities with the kids so here are some ways to keep them happy in your own backyard.
- With the amazing weather we’ve been having lately in Ireland a small inflatable pool will keep the kids occupied for hours! Grab some swimming togs, towels, and let the kids splash about in the pool.
- A picnic in your own garden can be so much fun. Get the kids to help you make some sandwiches and pick out treats to fill your picnic basket with. Grab a large blanket and enjoy all the fun of a picnic without leaving the house.
- Go to your local discount shop and pick up water balloons and water guns. This will be sure to give them hours of fun, soaking and splashing each other. You could also use a hose, buckets or a watering can.
- Getting the kids involved in gardening can be a fun activity for the whole family to enjoy. Buy a few packets of seeds of a plant of their choice and let them each plant their own flower. Maybe even let them have their space in the garden to plant what they like. They will also enjoy watering it and looking after it for the summer.
- Chalk is very cheap and easy to wash off so why not let them unleash some of their creativity with some chalk art? They will also have fun washing it off after with the hose.
- Get a small birdhouse or bird feeder and let them choose where to put it in the garden. They will love filling it with food and watching out for the birds.
- Flying a kite is something every child loves to do! The act of choosing their own kite, learning how to fly it and watching it float above them in the sky will be something they will be sure to enjoy.
- Create your own nature trail checklist or find one online and print it out. Get your kids to walk around the garden trying to find all the items on the list. As an extra insensitive, include a treat at the end as a prize for completing it.