Do these sound familiar to you?
Date night is our favourite night of the week (or it would be if we managed to get out once a week). However, even though it’s our night off to relax, here are the things that we can’t help doing:
- Worrying about all the worst case scenarios that could happen while you’re out… Did I definitely turn the oven off? What if a bird flies in through the window that we left open? What if the teenagers next door have a house party? What if our house gets struck by lightening?
- Mentally checking whether the restaurant is child friendly even though you don’t have the kids with you. Do they have high chairs? Are there baby changing facilities? How would we get a buggy up those stairs?
- Getting distracted by other families with kids and regularly giving them sympathetic glances when things don’t look like they’re going to plan.
- Checking your phone every two minutes even though it’s on full volume!
- Getting annoyed by the lack of options on the children’s menu - sausage and chips, pizza and chips, chicken nuggets and chips. It’s a good job that we didn’t bring them along! Does the chef have no imagination?
- Feeling guilty that your toddler didn’t get to see or taste your humongous ice cream sundae. It would have been the happiest you’ve ever seen them!
- Secretly looking forward to taking off your heels and slipping on your comfy slippers!
Even though you had vowed to make it a child free evening you just can’t help yourselves discussing funny moments, showing each other your latest snaps and toasting how proud you are to be parents of such wonderful human beings.