It doesn't matter how prepared and organised you are in life, sometimes things just creep up on you, especially when you have one or more little ones to care for.
I'm a divil for leaving things to the last minute, mostly when it comes to celebrations or things like Halloween, Christmas and Easter. And of course, with spooky season just around the corner, there is no time like the present to start getting yourself organised.
However, if you leave it too late, fret not - there are plenty of last-minute homemade Halloween costumes for babies that won't cost the earth and are equally as adorable as shop-bought pumpkins and wizardry witches.
- If you have a pair of dungarees and a patterned check shirt you can easily turn baby into a farmer or even a scarecrow. Simply add some hay for added effect.
- Check the art press for a bit of white felt to create your very own garden gnome. If you don't have any a bit of fluffy cotton wool on a piece of card will work just as well. Pop on a pair of dungarees and a red hat and off you go.
- Blow up some purple balloons and glue them to any old outfit to turn your child into a grape, at least if they're not steady on their feet they will have something to cushion the fall!
- Lash a bit of colourful paint onto cardboard cut wings and you have your very own fairy, for added effect put the baby in a stripy all-in-one.
- If you have older kids the chances are you will have a Superman t-shirt lying around. Pop it under a white shirt alongside a tie and bring Clark Kent to life.
- They really do grow up fast! If you have an old wig lying around wrap it up in curlers and dress baby in the floweriest dress you can find or a knitted cardy and you will have a little old lady.
- Getting really desperate for ideas? Have a rummage through the first aid box for some bandages to make your own mini mummy in a matter of seconds.
- Stuff four sets of colourful tights and stitch them together to make an adorable octopus - a costume that is guaranteed to entertain for ages, it's a win-win.
- If the baby is crawling turn them into a turtle. Simply paint a green shell onto a piece of card and place it on their back. You could be more creative if you wanted and try to re-create a snail with a rolled-up towel.
- Happen to have a Harley Davidson t-shirt lying about? Cut it to size and roll up the sleeves and you will have a miniature biker. To finish off the look add a beard using some face paints or even a dark eyeliner.
- Who doesn't love a minion? The perfect last-minute Halloween costume. All you need is a yellow t-shirt, a pair of dungarees and off you go.
- Be a bit rad and retro with an aerobics instructor. Put babies leggings on before their onesie their vest and add DIY leg warmers by cutting the toes off a pair of old socks. Bright colours will work better but sure if time is not on your side work with what you have.
- Cut up an old black t-shirt into uneven shapes and glue them to a white vest and hat to make a pint-sized cow. You could even use bottle nipples as udders.
- And if all else fails or none of these tickles your fancy call upon your friends with toddlers or preschoolers because chances are they have an old costume or two lying around that they would love to see getting used again.