The majority of new mothers are affected by it in some way.
There are some things you can do and others can do to help you get over your baby blues as quickly as possible.
- Get some rest- Let your partner take over while you are down and take a few naps throughout the day, relax and take a bit of time for yourself to recuperate which will make you a better Mammy.
- Ask for help- Don’t be a martyr and allow people to help you, take the time that you need and it will pass. Let people make you all a dinner, let them do a grocery shop and allow them to take your baby for a walk.
- Keep visitors to a minimum- Don’t feel under pressure to have people over and entertain them while you feel like crying. If you prefer keep it at only close family for the first few days and give yourself some time to get back to normal.
- Cry if you want to- Let your emotions out and cry for an hour if it makes you feel better as no one is going to judge you for it. Be open with your partner about your feeling as he will want to help you and be there for you as you need him.
- Talk to a professional if things aren’t improving- If days have past and it is coming on for a few weeks and you are feeling deflated still, consider talking to your health nurse or a Doctor. In most cases it won’t come to this but be aware that you need to take care of yourself and your baby.