Family Friendly HQ uses cookies to improve your experience on our site and to show you relevant advertising. Your privacy is important to us. To find out more, read our updated Cookie and Privacy Policy.
Family Blog
What You Need To Know About The EHIC

What You Need To Know About The EHIC

What You Need To Know About The EHIC
The last thing anyone wants to think about when planning a summer holiday is what happens if someone gets sick while away. 
Unfortunately, however, it is something that can happen, and it's best to be prepared, especially when travelling with children, who tend to pick up bigs no matter where they are! 
Travel insurance is a must for anyone going abroad, and not just to deal with lost baggage. However, if you're heading to a country in the EU or EEA, there is one thing you shouldn't forget - your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).
The EHIC replaces the traditional E111 card and allows you to avail of healthcare in another EU or EEA country for free or at a reduced cost. 
How do you apply for it: 
Unless you have a medical card, you need to apply for the card in your local health office. 
You can download an application form here or pick one up in your local HSE office.
What you will need: 
  • You will need to show your passport or driving licence
  • You may be asked for a p60 or social services card
  • Some applicants may need to prove their an Irish resident
It can approximately 10 working days for the card to arrive.
Click here for for more information on using the card.
Written by Mary Byrne, Content Executive at Family Friendly HQ. Follow her on Twitter: @marybyrne321